top of page

Emergency Travel Document (ETC)


To apply for ETC, applicants should write a Formal request letter addressed to the Consulate General of Nigeria stating reasons for the request and attach the following documents:

  1. Current address and telephone number, please.

  2. Expired Nigerian passport (to be sighted and returned to owner), as well as a copy of passport data page.

  3. For a loss passport, Please include a police report as well as a data page of a lost Nigeria passport (if applicable).

  4. 2 passport size photographs.

  5. Copy of itinerary or airline ticket.


Applicants under the age of 18 (Eighteen):

  •  Copy of Birth Certificate.

  • Copy of both parents’ Nigeria passport (data page). At least one parent must be Nigerian.

  •  Letter of consent signed by both parents.

  • A certified self-addressed prepaid envelope from USPS, UPS, or FedEx (Next day delivery).


ETC is usually issued to stranded Nigerians abroad who do not have the appropriate travel documents to travel back home, the certificate helps them return to Nigeria. An Emergency Travel Certificate is usually valid for one journey to Nigeria only and must be surrendered to immigration authorities at the port of entry.

bottom of page